- 1 Top Water Filter Pitcher Reviews
- 1.1 1. Brita Large Everyday Water Pitcher
- 1.2 2. Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
- 1.3 3. Brita 10 Cup Stream Filter Water Pitcher
- 1.4 4. Sagler Water Filter Pitcher
- 1.5 5. BWT Austrian Quality Water Filter Pitcher
- 1.6 6. Invigorated Living pH Restore Alkaline Water Pitcher
- 1.7 7. BWT Magnesium Infused Water Filter Pitcher
- 1.8 8. Claro Alkaline Water Pitcher
- 1.9 9. Areally 10 Cup Water Filter Pitcher
- 1.10 10. Kaz PUR 5 Cup Water Filter Pitcher
- 1.11 11. Dragonn pH Restore Alkaline Water Pitcher
- 1.12 12. EHM Ultra Premium Alkaline Water Pitcher
- 1.13 13. Hskyhan Alkaline Water Pitcher
- 1.14 14. Aozora Water Filter Pitcher
- 1.15 15. Ecosoft 10 Cup Water Filter Pitcher
- 2 What Is a Water Filter Pitcher?
- 3 Why You Need a Water Filter Pitcher?
- 4 Who Uses a Water Filter Pitcher?
- 5 Who Doesn’t Truly Need a Pitcher?
- 6 Choosing the Right Water Filter Pitcher
- 7 Most Important Features to Consider
- 8 Maintaining a Water Filter Pitcher
- 9 FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions about Water Filter Pitchers)
- 9.1 Q: What is the average filter life?
- 9.2 Q: How do I track the filter life?
- 9.3 Q: Can I cook with filtered water?
- 9.4 Q: Should I get a plastic or a glass pitcher?
- 9.5 Q: Should I get a thicker or lighter jug?
- 9.6 Q: Will it remove the chlorine taste from my tap water?
- 9.7 Q: Will it remove fluoride from my water?
- 9.8 Q: Am I wasting my money on replacement filters? Why not get a big tap filter installed instead?
- 10 Best Water Filter Pitchers Comparison Chart
- 11 Wrapping up
Water is the source of all life on Earth and while this probably isn’t news for you, here’s something to think about. Each year about 3.2 million people in the US alone get sick from long-term exposure to tap water and its contents. Had they had the best water filter pitcher, they would have been able to enjoy tasty, clean and pretty much contaminant-free water at home.
We do not promote buying stuff just for the sake of it. Our goal is to help people get educated and the topic of water filter pitchers definitely provides us with such an opportunity. It is also related to health, environment as well as family budget.
This is why we aren’t only going to give you a quick rundown of the 15 best products on the market today. We will also take a deep dive into the purpose and effect of water purifier pitchers, FAQ, maintenance, pros and cons, and many other useful topics. All of this will help you make an informed and educated decision when looking to select a product for your family.
Top Water Filter Pitcher Reviews
- Brita Large Everyday Water Pitcher
- PRICE $$
- Capacity : 10 cup
- Dimensions : 7.38 x 11.94 x 16.75 in
- Replace Filter : Every 40 gallons or two months
- Color : White
- Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
- PRICE $$$$$
- Capacity : 33 oz. of water
- Dimensions : 14 x 14 x 6 inches
- Replace Filter : 150 gallons
- Color : Clear
- Brita 10 Cup Stream Filter Water Pitcher
- PRICE $$
- Capacity : 10 Cup
- Dimensions : 11 x 5.4 x 16.4 inches
- Replace Filter : up to 300 16.9 oz bottles of water
- Color : Multiple Colors
- Sagler Water Filter Pitcher
- PRICE $
- Capacity : 7 Cup
- Dimensions : 10.8 x 10.7 x 5.1 inches
- Replace Filter : 300 standard 16.9 ounce water bottles
- Color : Clear
- BWT Austrian Quality Water Filter Pitcher
- PRICE $
- Capacity : 8 Cup
- Dimensions : 11.5 x 4.8 x 10.7 inches
- Replace Filter : After 100 uses
- Color : Salmon
1. Brita Large Everyday Water PitcherThis typical Brita water filter pitcher is a great addition to anyone’s kitchen countertop. The design is very clean and simple but that makes the unit not challenging to use and maintain at all. The weight is light and even if you fill it up with water, it should be relatively easy to carry. This comes at a price, however, because the walls turn out to be easy to crack. Care is to be expected. The top part of the pitcher cannot be removed so you need to be creative when you want to clean it. Other than that, the filtration is really nice as fluoride and heavy metals will all be gone from your fresh water.
2. Aquagear Water Filter PitcherThorough filtration is the bread and butter of the Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher. With this product, you absolutely know what you pay for. One filter will give you about 6 months of fresh water and this feature is completely unmatched by any other competitor water filter pitcher company. The design is slick and the set comes with a lifetime guarantee. The good things simply do not end here. You can have your pitcher recycled any time you want because all parts are nature-friendly and BPA free. All this machinery can get pretty heavy when full but you aren’t going to run a marathon with it, right?
3. Brita 10 Cup Stream Filter Water PitcherIf you decide to go with the Brita 10 Cup Stream Filter Water Pitcher you are getting an item which filters your water as you pour it. The fact that you are getting instant filtration, however, doesn’t mean that you will have to pay huge money for the jug. You might want to tone down your expectations towards the strength of the stream, though. Since your water is being filtered on the go, some slower pouring is to be expected. The filter life will last for about 40 gallons of water which is definitely decent. Not all heavy metals can be removed from your water using this technology.
4. Sagler Water Filter PitcherWho says that the water filter pitchers have to be necessarily expensive? After all, people look for simplicity and functionality. This is what you get from the Sagler Water Filter Pitcher as it just gets the job done. With it, you do not need to deal with watching the battery of the filter replacement gauge as the pitcher features just a customizable calendar for that purpose. The parts are universal and you can “steal” from other brands and install in your own jug. The design is rather well-thought out because the jug will fit in your refrigerator door easily.
5. BWT Austrian Quality Water Filter PitcherAward-winning water filter pitchers are usually packed with proprietary stuff and this is exactly the case with the BWT Austrian Quality Water Filter Pitcher. The filtration system in this one is impressive as it will give you clean water in only 30 seconds in contrast with most jugs which need between 3 and 5 minutes to do this. The plastic, the lid, and the filter are all made out of eco-friendly materials and the whole unit is 100% recyclable. As long as you are a little bit careful with not allowing water to end up in the filter counter, you will be just fine.
- Invigorated Living pH Restore Alkaline Water Pitcher
- PRICE $$$$
- Capacity : About 2 liters of water or about half a gallon
- Dimensions : 10.5 x 5.2 x 10 inches
- Replace Filter : 1500 cups/360 litres/96 gallons
- Color : White
- BWT Magnesium Infused Water Filter Pitcher
- PRICE $$
- Capacity : 3 to 4 glasses of water
- Dimensions : 10.4 x 11.3 x 4.5 inches
- Replace Filter : 4 - 5 weeks
- Color : Blue
- Claro Alkaline Water Pitcher
- PRICE $$$
- Capacity : 3.5 Liter
- Dimensions : 11.5 x 11.3 x 6.1 inches
- Replace Filter : Hard to track the life of your filter
- Color : Green
- Areally 10 Cup Water Filter Pitcher
- PRICE $$
- Capacity : 10 Cup / 2.5L
- Dimensions : 9.4 x 3.9 x 10.2 inches
- Replace Filter : About 30-60 days
- Color : Water Pitcher With 1 Filter
- Kaz PUR 5 Cup Water Filter Pitcher
- PRICE $$
- Capacity : 5 Cup
- Dimensions : 4.8 x 11.3 x 10.1 inches
- Replace Filter : 40 Gallons
- Color : White
6. Invigorated Living pH Restore Alkaline Water PitcherJust a top class water purifier pitcher which also comes at an above average price. In fact, the unit may be considered expensive but to “water junkies” this thing is just the best. The filter life is so long that you will forget that you have to change it. Just kidding, the electronic filter gauge will give you a heads up when a replacement filter is needed. Refill quickly through the cap in the lid and enjoy clean water free of about 99.99% of contaminants, heavy metals, and odors. Water is mineralized and exceptionally tasty. Just remember to not leave it there for too long in order to avoid excessive mineralization.
7. BWT Magnesium Infused Water Filter PitcherThe following unit is made with excellence and a lot of patented technology. As the name shows, the BWT Magnesium Infused Water Filter Pitcher will increase the levels of Mg+ of your water which is vital for any human body. You might end up paying a little bit more than expected for spare filters but it is quite worth it. These filters also contain silver thus further boosting the filtration properties of the product. We truly can’t get enough of this jug and would love if the capacity was larger so that we can have more magnesium infused water.
8. Claro Alkaline Water PitcherIf you are looking for a water filter pitcher that you won’t have to fill up 3 times every day, then going for the Claro Alkaline Water Pitcher is perhaps a great idea. Enjoy almost a gallon of cleansed water daily and go easy on the filter by not having to constantly refill your jug. Choose between three of available colors and 2 types of filters. The wide array of choices is always a big advantage for such products. The best effect that you will receive is the high pH levels of your water.
9. Areally 10 Cup Water Filter PitcherThe Areally 10 Cup Water Filter Pitcher is truly a nice all-around water purifier jug because it brings you quality in each aspect. The filter is very thorough removing all sorts of impurities from water including heavy metals and chlorine. The capacity is decent as you can get 10 full cups of fresh water from the pitcher. The pitcher is easy to handle with the thoughtful design that it has. All in all, if your main aim is to get a well-working water filter pitcher for a moderate amount of money, then that’s your product.
10. Kaz PUR 5 Cup Water Filter PitcherJust go ahead and check out all the layers that the filter of the Kaz PUR 5 Cup Water Filter Pitcher has. You will be blown away by the technology which this unit has in itself. Say goodbye to the pesky chlorine odor along with all the microbial cysts in tap water. Kaz also gives you a great option when it comes to capacity as you can get the 7 and 5 cup version of the same water filter jug. Yes, it doesn’t filter fluoride but that’s not such a big knock on it. Change your filter easily with the ergonomic design of the whole construction.
- Dragonn pH Restore Alkaline Water Pitcher
- PRICE $$
- Capacity : 3.5 Liters
- Dimensions : 12 x 10 x 6 inches
- Replace Filter : 60 days
- Color : Blue
- EHM Ultra Premium Alkaline Water Pitcher
- PRICE $$$$
- Capacity : 3.5L
- Dimensions : 12 x 6 x 11 inches
- Replace Filter : more than three months
- Color : Clear
- Hskyhan Alkaline Water Pitcher
- PRICE $$$
- Capacity : 3.5 Liter
- Dimensions : 11 x 6.5 x 10.5 inches
- Replace Filter : 40 gallons
- Color : Blue
- Aozora Water Filter Pitcher
- PRICE $$$$
- Capacity : 3.5L
- Dimensions : 11.2 x 5 x 11.1 inches
- Replace Filter : Approximately every 3 months
- Color : White
- Ecosoft 10 Cup Water Filter Pitcher
- PRICE $
- Capacity : 8 Cup
- Dimensions : 8 x 8 x 10 inches
- Replace Filter : up to 3 months
- Color : Multiple Color
11. Dragonn pH Restore Alkaline Water PitcherYou do not need specialized machinery or any sort of chemicals in order to drink alkalinized water. Use the Dragonn pH Restore Alkaline Water Pitcher and enjoy some purified water with higher pH levels. Regular tap water simply cannot provide us with everything needed for a healthier life and getting one of the finest water filter jugs should be a priority. Keep track on how often you are to change the filter using the high-class indicator on the lid. Also, trust the stability of the jug and store it wherever you wish.
12. EHM Ultra Premium Alkaline Water PitcherTrust the top-notch filtration system of the EHM Ultra Premium Alkaline Water Pitcher and enjoy some perfectly well-mineralized water. The filter will ionize the water in the jug by reducing the size of the molecules. It will satisfy your thirst easily and will eliminate all the harmful contaminants which can be found in tap water. The manufacturer also offers outstanding deals on filters. Buy many replacement filters at the same time and get impressive discounts. There isn’t a filter replacement indicator but more often than not, this isn’t a huge problem at all.
13. Hskyhan Alkaline Water PitcherThe 7-layered filter of the Hskyhan Alkaline Water Pitcher guarantees you excellently purified water for better health and nutrition. The jug is BPA free and the product is completely recyclable. Count on the LED timer on top of the lid to prompt you when is the right time to replace the filter. Another big advantage of the set is that it includes not just one but two filters. You will be good to last about 3 months without buying new filters straight off the bat. Find a way around the not so well-written instructions and enjoy your top class water filter jug.
14. Aozora Water Filter PitcherUndoubtedly, the biggest reason why you would want to buy this water filter jug is the UV lamp in the clean water compartment. The Aozora Water Filter Pitcher really takes things to the next level as it allows for cleaning water on two levels. First comes the filter and then the UV light kills all bacteria and sterilizes the water. Yes, you can’t keep it in the fridge but that is something you can live with. The overall design of the jug is impressive but the functionality is really off the chain.
15. Ecosoft 10 Cup Water Filter PitcherThat’s perhaps the toughest plastic jug to damage among all. The Ecosoft 8 Cup Water Filter Pitcher is a very reliable product as it is a sturdy piece of craftsmanship. The lid will never let you down as it is properly snug and there’s also a cover over the snout so that no dust particles end up in the clean water. The base is covered with a rubber line making it almost impossible to slip. Enjoy fluoride-free water at a fair price with this amazing unit. Although you will not see an increase in pH levels of your water after filtration, this jug is still worth your money.
What Is a Water Filter Pitcher?
Most people in our communities get their water from a public water supply. This is the municipal pipeline which has been there for years and is, of course, the main source of what we call tap water. Now, this is perfectly safe – it is healthy but there are drawbacks and even harmful aspects that we want to avoid.
This is why humanity has come up with a variation of water filtering systems in order to provide us with clean and even enriched water which carries a number of health benefits. There are also the nature preservation reasons and environmental protection ones which are in play.
A water filter pitcher is a portable domestic device which absolutely resembles a typical jug. The difference is that it has a filtration technology installed which purifies the water you and your family use. This charcoal filter is replaceable and it functions through granulated activated carbon.
There are two water reservoirs in any typical water filter pitcher. These containers are separated by the filter through which tap water passes and ends up in the bottom reservoir where it is ready for use. The spout of course completely bypasses the filtration system as only clean water must interact with it.
The process of the actual water purification when activated carbon granules are used is called adsorption. This basically means that chlorine is removed (because this is what is mainly contained in tap water among other contaminants). Please bear in mind that even though many additional impurities are removed from tap water, most water filter pitchers cannot deal with quite everything.
Why You Need a Water Filter Pitcher?
What we stated above doesn’t mean that filter jugs are useless in any way. Frankly, no water filtration system in the world will provide you with absolutely clean H2O. Technology has gone a long way and progress is still made. Among one of the most serious contaminants, we can list is fluoride. If you are looking for ways on how to remove fluoride from water at home, you may consider getting a filter pitcher.
Surely, this is where you might ask about which water filter pitcher removes the most contaminants. But before that, we need to find out how and why our “clean” tap water requires additional filtration in any form. The reason is quite simple but it doesn’t look like things are greatly going to change in the foreseeable future.
Our public water comes from lakes, aquifers, and even rivers. This, of course, means that it is naturally clean in the sense that it isn’t polluted. But unfortunately, it does contain a lot of impurities and maybe even viruses.
Local authorities deal with this by completing the first stage of water filtration in plants and stations. During this first phase, dirt and sand are removed from water because these the most important initial impurities which render mountain water undrinkable.
Then there is one more stage of purification and it can be achieved in a number of ways:
- By activated charcoal
- Through reverse osmosis
- Ozone exposure
- UV light
- Usage of high-voltage currents
All of the above is just fine but it turns out that there are far more regulations and certifications that need to be passed so that any municipal water supply can actually be put into operation. What can we say, obviously our planet produces one tough to filtrate water.
So the last stage is the one during which plants continue the treatment of water by using chemicals that are supposed to clean out all remaining bacteria and viruses. Chlorine is the most used one and that typical tap water taste that you get usually comes from it. This doesn’t mean that the water is not fine to drink but the presence of chlorine definitely holds some unwanted effects.
Another way to get a bad taste in tap water is to add ammonia to the chlorine.
We will talk more about the consequences of long-term exposure to chlorine below. For now, we can only state that getting a water filter pitcher to remove both chlorine and chloramine is going to be an excellent purchase.
Fluoride in water also has a dual effect. But because of the negative one (which is to cause Fluorosis), many countries have banned its use. While this substance helps by reducing tooth decay it is not really something you want in your everyday tap water supply.
Managing to find a water filter pitcher to remove fluoride also means that you have found a way to also remove the following from your water:
- Trace pharmaceuticals
- Hydrogen Sulfide
None of the above are life-threatening when exposure is modest. In fact, chemicals such as Zinc are very good for our health. But drinking excessive quantities of water containing all of the above is actually detrimental to our health.
Everything else about a water purifier pitcher is the same. There is the lid, the spout, handle. Even the size doesn’t have to be unusual. It is a regular jug but covers us against everything mentioned above. However, the finest products out there go the extra mile and provide us with additional health benefits.
Don’t expect this little magic box that we call filter to add an incredible amount of vitamins or to completely alter the structure of tap water for you. It will not turn it into jet fuel and make you live 100 years longer. It will, however, do something perfectly possible and very useful.
A good water filter pitcher will raise the pH levels of water or in other words will alkalinize it. This leads to positive effects on people suffering from acid reflux. Higher pH levels also speed up metabolism and boost our energy.
We should take this is moderation, though. Doctors do not advise people to expose constantly to water with a pH of 8 or higher. Tap water typically has its levels somewhere between 3 and 6. A decent water filter pitcher can raise it to about 8 but again, this needs to be taken in moderation.
Possessing a water filter pitcher at home also aids society in dealing with one great problem – plastic waste. There’s irrefutable evidence that utilizing a water purifier jug will allow you to greatly reduce the number of plastic bottles you buy. Imagine how much-bottled water you skip buying and therefore not end up throwing away.
The most usual filters will cleanse about 40 gallons of water before you need to buy a replacement one. Even if you buy your spring water in 1-gallon jugs, that’s 40 plastic jugs! Think about how much plastic this is. If we talk about regular bottled water then you move this number into the hundreds.
Furthermore, when buying the so-called spring water from stores you still have no clue about how and when the water has been filtered. For all you know, it might be just regular tap water that has gone through a simple Brita filter. You know, the one that you have at home.
You can conduct whatever sort of water filter pitcher comparison you wish, but you will notice that most of them are fully recyclable and that includes the filters too. There’s no argument that can defend spending a ton of money on bottled water and then throwing the plastic away instead of just obtaining a reliable water filter pitcher.
Who Uses a Water Filter Pitcher?
Although the potential consumer group of such devices is very broad, there are those who can greatly benefit from using a water filter jug. We will take a look at such groups and there’s a very good chance you might be part of one of them.
When There is a Child at Home
Families with babies, toddlers, and young children can greatly benefit from the presence of a water filter pitcher on their kitchen countertop. Mineralized and clean water is crucial to one’s development as a human being.
When a young and fragile organism intakes food, nutrition, and water, all of these really need to be pure so that the organism can grow healthy. The function of the pituitary gland is enhanced by water and this shouldn’t be overlooked as this gland is responsible for the growth of the human body.
Furthermore, exposure to tap water is not going to be dangerous in the short term. But if a young person uses tap water for two decades until they become an adult, you pretty much predispose them to a number of illnesses induced by the intake of tap water and the substances contained in it.
To Take Care of Elders
There’s a good reason why all life on Earth originated from water. It prolongs life and favors its development. Our parents and senior citizens are the ones that we perhaps want to take care of the most.
Providing the elder members of our families with filtered water is as crucial as giving it to our babies. A water purifier pitcher will definitely improve the health of seniors as it has more minerals. Additionally, the higher pH levels of such water are exceptionally important to the proper functioning of organs and metabolism.
While it goes without saying that basically, everyone will benefit from possessing a filter jug, there are some more advantages especially for people who do more activities. Hydration is crucial to us especially when we sweat. Being tired, spending energy pushes us to drink more water.
If we do so from the tap, we will likely expose ourselves to too much tap water consumption. The more water we drink, the cleaner it should be. This alone is a key reason as to why we should look for a water filter pitcher of the highest order.
Furthermore, enriched water with fewer chemicals will allow us to perform better, lose weight thanks to speedy metabolism and will fill us with more energy. All in all, among the people that could use a jug with a filter, the active ones are near the top of the list.
Who Doesn’t Truly Need a Pitcher?
As strange as it might sound, there are those who will not greatly benefit from having a water filter pitcher around them. No, not because it would be bad for them but because such people have their water filtration problems all solved in a more radical way.
Offices use enormous amounts of drinking water daily. Water filter pitchers simply don’t cut it. In fact, most big-time offices have moved past using these huge old water dispensers too. Now they install big filters right in their kitchen sinks so that everyone in the office can use filtered water by default.
Such devices are quite expensive both to buy and to maintain. But when we talk about an office environment with heavy traffic, they are well worth it. A small family might not see fit getting a water tap filter because the return on investment isn’t really there.
Kitchen Personnel at Restaurants
These are again professionals who make their living thanks to using water. When cooking at home, a water filter pitcher is a great idea. When you need to feed 200 people daily and have 4 pots boiling on the stove at all times, a filter jug with a capacity of 2 liters will get you nowhere.
Similar to an office, a professional kitchen also finds more radical and big ways to filter their water so that they can eliminate all capacity issues.
There’s no other way to put this but to call these people hermits. If you live in the civilized society, then you want to have your tap water improved. If you come from a country with too much poverty and barely any clean water, then you definitely need to find a way to filter your water.
People who live in the mountains or in the woods are likely just fine drinking spring water. Unfortunately, it is also not very pure as mentioned above already. Water from rivers and streams contains sand and dirt. Animals also do not help it because many of their secretions, fur, and other body fluids end up there. It turns out, filtration is needed virtually everywhere.
Choosing the Right Water Filter Pitcher
Before you whip the credit card out and spend any money on a water filter pitcher, you ought to clear up what exactly are your expectations for the product. We will give a detailed view of all specific features below but first, you need to answer yourself a few questions.
- Find out what’s in your water. It is best if you do some research regarding the contents of the tap water in your area. If there aren’t any heavy metals in it, then you can take it easy with the water filter pitcher. In case the pH levels are too low, then you should look for a unit which alkalinizes your water etc. Once you know what sorts of contaminants can be found in your municipal water supply, then you know exactly what sort of jug you require.
- Price range. Determine what sort of money you are willing to spend and check what’s available in this price range. Always go for the best value for money as buying a water filter pitcher should be approached the same way as everything else in your kitchen.
- Design matters. It’s mostly about the shape, size, and curves. You are the one that has to know how much space you have for a brand new water filter pitcher. People with little countertops and small fridges might want to opt for a 5-cup jug. You also need to know how wide exactly the racks in your fridge and fridge door are. It would be silly if you want to stick the pitcher in there in order to have cold filtered water but can’t because of the size.
Most Important Features to Consider
After you have set your priorities straight, you are now ready to get to know what a water filter pitcher has in general. We will look at the most distinct features of those jugs and will let you decide which ones are more important to you than others. There isn’t a right or wrong here. It is all about deciding which components matter the most.
There is no doubt that the price can be considered to be a feature. Whatever people tell you, they still weight in the initial expense they have to make when choosing the right water filter pitcher. In all fairness, value for money isn’t always the case. Sometimes a pricier product is the one that should be purchased as it will serve you good for a long, long time.
Often times, however, people decide that even if a cheaper water filter pitcher turns out to be a bad one, they can just purchase a new one right away. This thought process isn’t the best one but this is the reality. That being said, it is obvious that you need to feel comfortable with the amount of money you are to spend on a water purifier jug before you obtain it. According to all of this, the price is definitely a feature.
This almost needs to be a separate category as the conversation about the filter in these pitchers can go on and on, and on. We will highlight some of the more important aspects of this part and will perhaps give you a few deeper details but we aren’t going to get carried away talking about the component that is the actual reason why you need a water filter pitcher on the first place.
There are two main shapes that a typical water filter in a pitcher has. The first one is the rectangular shape where the filter resembles a little box which is tucked in nicely between the two reservoirs. We can’t say definitively that this is the more popular type of filter but most people associate “water filter” with exactly this shape.
The second type of filter when it comes to shape is the cylindrical one which resembles a tube of sorts. It is like a short pipe hanging from the bottom of the top compartment inside the lower water reservoir. All in all the technology is quite the same and the way these filters function is unchanged regardless of shape.
However, the rectangular one might be a little bit bulkier than expected. It might interfere with how much water you can pour in the top compartment. On the other hand, the tube-shaped filter takes up a lot of space in the lower reservoir and might reduce the capacity of the jug when it comes to clean water.
Filters are also classified by another sign. The typical filter needs a few minutes to process your water and then it drips down into the lower compartment. This is the classic way of functioning and what most people imagine when we mention the product.
However, a more advanced and more recent technology features the Filter-as-you-pour filter. In this case, the user enjoys the full capacity of the jug as there are no two separate compartments. The filter is attached to the spout of the pitcher and water passes through it as you pour.
It is a very convenient thing to have and it doesn’t cost much, to be honest. However, you will quickly notice that the water pours slowly. You have to be prepared to hold that pitcher tilted over the cup for some time before it fills up.
For that reason alone, we have included such a water filter pitcher in our reviewed products list as we believe that it is definitely worth mentioning among the best products on the market.
A water filter jug which requires its filter to be replaced in less than a month is not a good one. Fortunately, all the products that you will encounter on our website will show off with a filter life of at least 2 months. In other words, this is about 40 gallons at a minimum. Once you set your sights on a unit, feel free to see the water filter pitcher reviews regarding this very model in order to get familiar with the various experiences of buyers.
In all fairness, there are filters which will last way longer than just 40 gallons of water. Such products are among the top end water purifier pitchers and you should be prepared to spend a little more than usual if you want to enjoy the filtered water for a few months without having to buy a replacement filter.
It is rather important to clarify that filtration doesn’t happen instantly. Even though we are talking about a portable unit which holds relatively little water, it still needs some time to process that volume and cleanse it.
That being said, you can expect to have a few cups of fresh water within 30 seconds to about 5 minutes depending on the water filter pitcher you’ve got. All of this is perfectly normal as water typically drips down slowly through the filter.
Even though the technology resembles an hourglass, you cannot expect to pour 2 liters of water in there and have that volume ready to drink immediately. This isn’t a drawback of water filter pitchers but is actually a testament that they work properly.
Capacity and Shape
Despite what people say, size matters. When we talk about a small household filtration system in a jug, this is also crucial. Every kitchen appliance and utensil has to be easy to use and fairly easy to store and carry. Define what sort of capacity is good for you and your family. If you are drinking a lot of water then you might want to opt for a larger unit. It is useful if you do some water filter pitcher comparison to determine how much water various models can fit.
The shape is interconnected to capacity. The more water your water filter pitcher can store, the bulkier or taller it will be. Putting such an item in the fridge will be challenging if not impossible. You can also forget about storing it in the fridge door. So if you want to have cool and filtered water at the same time, you need to make sure the pitcher will fit in your fridge.
Keep in mind that even bigger water pitchers use the same filters. You might end up having to wait for long until all that water is purified and ready to use. On the other hand, smaller jugs need to constantly be refilled which means the filter will be constantly used.
It is obvious that when it comes to capacity, design, shape, and colors it is all about the individual preference of the user.
The general purpose of all water filter pitchers is absolutely the same. Some of them, or at least the best ones will take care of more things than just the usual ones. You know you are in good hands if your jug does most of the following:
- Removes chlorine and the taste of chlorine
- Gets rid of fluoride
- Takes care of heavy metals and lead in particular
- Raises the pH level
- Destroys microbial cysts and other viruses
The simpler water purifier pitchers will mostly take care of the bad smell. You shouldn’t expect a lot from them but they still do a good job. Fluoride has been a problem for years and many countries have already banned it in their municipal water supply.
Lead comes from pipes and the more your water stays there, the more lead you will have in it. If your tap hasn’t run for a while, you should let your water flow for a few minutes before drinking for it. Be aware that even the most advanced filter pitchers struggle to remove lead from water nowadays.
They might be able to deal with most metals such as zinc, mercury, nickel etc. but they will surely struggle to purify your water from the lead. We already covered the topic about pH and why alkalinized water is good for our health.
This feature determines how easy it is to utilize your water filter pitcher and how reliable it is. The finest products on the market will not challenge you with the way they are constructed and with the way they function. While there aren’t truly that many parts in a jug, the existing ones need to be constructed in a well-thought-out way. We will take a look at:
- The lid
- The top water reservoir
- The handle
- The base
For instance, the lid really matters. You don’t want it to be too tight because opening and closing the jug will be difficult. It will also make it tougher for you to change the filter. On the other hand, a lid cannot be too loose because it will start falling off every time you attempt to pour a cup of water.
Any functional lid will have a little hole which slides open. This way a jug is filled without having to open the whole mechanism. If the spout is covered with a plastic cap, that’s a huge advantage. It tells you that the designers really thought about preserving your water clean. If there is no spout cap then all sorts of dust and odors will make their way into your clean water reservoir. Yep, so even if you have the best water filter pitcher that removes fluoride, it will practically be useless.
Then you want to pay attention to the structure of the top reservoir. If it is too loose or if the filter doesn’t snap in there tightly then that means that some unfiltered water will surely end up dripping in the lower compartment. That’s an issue nobody wants to have and you should make sure that everything is in order before you start the tap water for the first time.
The base determines how stable a water pitcher is. You might be reading this and giving us a certain look as if it isn’t obvious that that’s the purpose of any base. True, but some models have that component way smaller than the top of the jug. This makes the water purifier pitcher very top heavy and you run the risk of having it tip over.
A cool addition to any base is a rubber non-slip lining. Its name shows you exactly what it does. By having such a rubber installation on the bottom you can rest assured that whatever the surface you leave your pitcher on, it will be just fine and will not fall over unless pushed.
The handle shouldn’t be overlooked as well. In fact, it can be quite painful if it isn’t constructed right. Look for something with curved, enhanced plastic lining in order to give you a better grip. Handles with smooth edges are literally a pain to hold as the plastic will dig right into your palm and it will hurt.
Curved handles are easy to grip even with the larger palm as they are further away from the body of the pitcher. Such an item, however, might be a little bit too wide to fit in tight spots. Similar to most things, this one also comes down to preference.
The following components cannot be found in just any water filter pitcher on the market. They are present in some models and typically increase the price of the unit. Here are a few things you will be happy to have if possible.
- Replacement filter gauge – this is a digital timer which tracks the filter life for you. It is a great perk to have as you do not need to necessarily remember when the filter was put in there. Of course, such technology isn’t 100% accurate and it is still best if you change your filter at least once every two months. Additionally, these little gadgets tend to malfunction if any water makes its way inside. If this raises the price of your unit too much, it is worth skipping.
- UV Light – this is a very rare addition to a water filter pitcher. It provides a second level filtering as the light is located inside the reservoir with the clean water. It will finish off any surviving bacteria and viruses left after the initial filtration. The light needs to be recharged but you do not need to take it out of the jug. You just use a USB cable to do it. This is quite the nice perk but it will surely make it tougher for you to scrape the bottom of the water filter pitcher.
- Extra filter – some sets include not one but two filters right off the bat. If the price is right, why not go for such a package?
Maintaining a Water Filter Pitcher
Longevity is absolutely crucial when we talk about this type of jugs. When visiting a website or going to a store you should always see some water filter pitcher consumer reports specifically the ones related to keeping your product in shape. The longer you sue your purifier jug, the more money you will save by not having to buy a new one or having to switch to bottled water. Taking good care of your unit also means that your filter will not struggle and won’t have to be replaced that often. So here’s what you do:
Read the instructions
Yep, it all starts there. Turns out that the fellas at the leading water filter pitcher manufacturers know what they’re doing and they will give you some useful info right in those little instruction manuals. This is where they will tell you how to assemble your unit properly and what to do the first time you use it. That part varies a little bit from model to model but the general outlines are pretty much the same. Most products require the following:
- Soak the filter for at least 2 minutes in water
- Pour a full jug and toss it away (preferably water your plants at home)
- Fill up a second pitcher and throw this water away too
In reality, this process is slower than it sounds. Since you are going to have to wait about 5 minutes each time for the water to drip through the filter, you will be able to use your jug for the first time in about 20 minutes in total. Unfortunately, there’s no way around that process and it needs to be done every time you are breaking in a new filter.
Watch that filter
Replace your filter regularly. Don’t allow it to just stay there for months as it will stop doing anything useful. If your pitcher has a digital display that helps you determine how much life the filter has, then great. If not, just remember the day you put the filter in for the first time and give it about 2 months.
Some of the classiest water filter pitchers remove fluoride and other contaminants and they might have longer filter duration. Again, refer to the instructions of each individual model so that you can see what the estimated life of the filter is.
You might notice that in time the filter slows down and it takes longer for clean water to make its way down the bottom reservoir. This doesn’t necessarily mean that you are to replace your filter. Just take it out and give it a firm shake. The crystals and the live granulated carbon will break into smaller pieces and this should “unclog” the filter.
Use it regularly
Stale water is your worst enemy. Don’t ever leave any water staying in the jug for more than 24 hours. It will mineralize heavily and will be virtually undrinkable. Not to mention that it might also damage your filter and leave sediment on the bottom of the pitcher. Pour water often and clean the thing regularly. Don’t use any hard brushes or you risk damaging the plastic walls.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions about Water Filter Pitchers)
Here we will concisely answer some of the most popular questions that consumers have regarding water filter pitchers. Some of the answers might already be present in the guide above but here you will have quick access to them.
Q: What is the average filter life?
A: Most filters will survive for about 40 gallons of water, 2 months or in other words 300 refills. There are models with twice the duration and some can even last for 6 months without being changed. There are exceptions, however, and are featured only in top brands
Q: How do I track the filter life?
A: It is a great convenience if your pitcher has a digital countdown display to show you how much life the filter has left. Some models feature a sticker which basically allows you to do the same. Worst case scenario – you use the calendar on your wall.
Q: Can I cook with filtered water?
A: Absolutely. We recommend that you also make your coffee, tea and other beverages using filtered water from a jug.
Q: Should I get a plastic or a glass pitcher?
A: Most water filter pitchers are made out of plastic. You will struggle to find a glass one which is also pretty impractical. Plastic jugs are lightweight and easy to carry. They are meant to be used any extra weight is not wanted. Besides, plastic is fully recyclable and this enhances the eco-friendly aspect of all water filter pitchers.
Q: Should I get a thicker or lighter jug?
A: There really isn’t that much difference between most water filter pitchers on the market today when it comes to thickness. However, some are heavier than others when we take into account parts such as the lid, handle, filter and base. These are typically not flimsy and should give you a stable feel. They might end up being heavier to carry when full, though.
Q: Will it remove the chlorine taste from my tap water?
A: Yes, all of the filter pitchers you will encounter on our website will do that. Otherwise, they wouldn’t be considered to be some of the best.
Q: Will it remove fluoride from my water?
A: If you are looking for ways on how to remove fluoride from water at home, some models will provide you with such opportunity. However, not all of them have that property and all you have to do is go through a few products and find the one that will satisfy your requirements.
Q: Am I wasting my money on replacement filters? Why not get a big tap filter installed instead?
A: You have the option of getting such a pipe or spout filter at home but you will have to do that for every sink you have. Additionally, the investment in such a thing is substantial and you will still need to buy replacement filters after some time. Such a system is useful for big offices or restaurants where the water flow needs to be constant.
That’s not all. The large water filters often clog and you will need a certain piping arrangement in order to bypass the filter until it is fixed. Again, in a domestic situation, a water filter pitcher gives you portability, easy access, and reliability.
Best Water Filter Pitchers Comparison Chart
|Brita Large Everyday Water Pitcher||$$||10 cup||7.38 x 11.94 x 16.75 in||Every 40 gallons or two months||White|
|Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher||$$$$$||33 oz. of water||14 x 14 x 6 inches||150 gallons||Clear|
|Brita 10 Cup Stream Filter Water Pitcher||$$||10 Cup||11 x 5.4 x 16.4 inches||up to 300 16.9 oz bottles of water||Multiple Colors|
|Sagler Water Filter Pitcher||$||7 Cup||10.8 x 10.7 x 5.1 inches||300 standard 16.9 ounce water bottles||Clear|
|BWT Austrian Quality Water Filter Pitcher||$||8 Cup||11.5 x 4.8 x 10.7 inches||After 100 uses||Salmon|
|Invigorated Living pH Restore Alkaline Water Pitcher||$$$$||About 2 liters of water or about half a gallon||10.5 x 5.2 x 10 inches||1500 cups/360 litres/96 gallons||White|
|BWT Magnesium Infused Water Filter Pitcher||$$||3 to 4 glasses of water||10.4 x 11.3 x 4.5 inches||4- 5 weeks||Blue|
|Claro Alkaline Water Pitcher||$$$||3.5 Liter||11.5 x 11.3 x 6.1 inches||Hard to track the life of your filter||Green|
|Areally 10 Cup Water Filter Pitcher||$$||10 Cup / 2.5L||9.4 x 3.9 x 10.2 inches||About 30-60 days||Water Pitcher With 1 Filter|
|Kaz PUR 5 Cup Water Filter Pitcher||$$||5 Cup||4.8 x 11.3 x 10.1 inches||40 Gallons||White|
|Dragonn pH Restore Alkaline Water Pitcher||$$||3.5 Liters||12 x 10 x 6 inches||60 days||Blue|
|EHM Ultra Premium Alkaline Water Pitcher||$$$$||3.5 Liters||12 x 6 x 11 inches||more than three months||Clear|
|Hskyhan Alkaline Water Pitcher||$$$||3.5 Liters||11 x 6.5 x 10.5 inches||40 gallons||Blue|
|Aozora Water Filter Pitcher||$$$$||3.5 Liters||11.2 x 5 x 11.1 inches||Approximately every 3 months||White|
|Ecosoft 8 Cup Water Filter Pitcher||$||8 Cup||8 x 8 x 10 inches||up to 3 months||Multiple Color|
It is obvious that selecting the best water filter pitcher for your needs doesn’t have to be a dramatic choice but it doesn’t hurt to be informed. Hopefully, the buyer’s guide that you just read will help you in this endeavor and will allow you to make an informed decision.
If you are happy with what you read, please comment and rate our article. We always strive to bring you the fullest and most up to date information regarding products, tests, pros, and cons etc. Share your thoughts with us and feel free to let us know if anything can be added to the piece above. Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!